Thursday, April 21, 2011

Wise Advice

Voicemail: I am in deep shit. I need help. Call me ASAP.


Jessica:"I am seeing my ex again."
Jessica's ex-boyfriend was an alcoholic who got in jail twice because of DUI. A sweet kid, now goes to AA every week. Sober at the moment.
Me:"OK."
Jessica:"But I don't think I should. Most people don't believe in second chance."
Me:"If you are happy and love each other, give it a try."
Jessica:"I'm afraid I will get my heart broken again."
Jessica:"The mature guy in my office told me to give it a try too, but stay cautious. Don't you think this is SUCH A WISE ADVICE?!"
Me:"That is a good advice."
Jessica:"But what does he mean by being cautious?"
Me:"......I think he means taking it slow and observing."
Jessica:"See, that is a wise advice. But I don't think I can do it. I can't control my emotions."
Me:"You can try not to talk to him every day, and see him only once a week. A little distance gives you a clear mind."
Jessica:"I can't do that. Can't control it."


JESSICA, A WISE ADVICE ONLY WORKS IF YOU FOLLOW IT!


Jessica:"He wants to come to my party this weekend. But I'm not comfortable telling my friends we are back together yet. I don't want him to come."
Me:"That's fair. You just started seeing each other again. Tell him not to come."
Jessica:"I can't. He's gonna go after other girls."
Me:"I don't think he will. He's in love with you. You wouldn't do that if you were in his situation."
Jessica:"Oh, if he doesn't let me go to his party, I would be so pissed! I would have a major fight with him! I would be all over the place!"
Me:"Jessica, that's double standard."
Jessica:"I know."


2 hours on the phone, trying to offer opinions and perspectives to Jessica. Don't think she will do anything I suggested. People in love should never ask other people for advice, because they will never follow. They already have their minds made up before they call. 

1 comment:

  1. I think we hear with our ears but we listen with our hearts. Anybody want to call BS?

    ReplyDelete